The Police Investigations and Review Commissioner (PIRC) has found that three calls made by the concerned mother of 51-year-old Barry Croal, whose body was later discovered at his home, were not handled appropriately by Police Scotland.

Following agreement with the COPFS, the Commissioner is now able to publish a summary of her findings.

She has also made a series of recommendations to the Deputy Chief Constable to make improvements to police call handling.

In her report, Commissioner Kate Frame said that despite Mr Croal’s mother phoning police three times on 20 February 2017 to report concerns for her son’s safety, no action was raised and no police officers were sent to enquire about his safety.

It was not until she phoned for a fourth time on 22 February 2017, more than 38 hours after her initial calls, that officers were sent out to Mr Croal’s home in Fallin, Stirlingshire, and found him dead.

In the report published today, 9 May 2018, the Commissioner said there was evidence of an apparent reluctance to transfer calls from Mr Croal’s mother to the correct department, as she had chosen an incorrect call option.

The PIRC investigation also found that there was no guidance available to Police Scotland Service Centre staff on how to deal with "dropped 101 calls" from members of the public.

The Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS) instructed the PIRC to carry out an investigation into the circumstances of the call handling and actions taken within the police Area Control Room, and in particular, consider whether the actions taken by the call handler in relation to the first call were appropriate.

Commissioner Kate Frame said:

"Despite Barry Croal’s mother repeated efforts on 20 February 2017, in three calls to Police Scotland, to communicate her concerns about her son’s safety she received little assistance in resolving those concerns until she phoned Police Scotland for a fourth time, two days later.
"In her earlier calls, she made it clear to both police officers and a member of civilian staff that nobody had seen her son for a number of days and that she had been unable to get into his house because it appeared that the door had been locked with keys from the inside.
"Barry Croal’s mother experienced a variety of failures by three separate police personnel within a ten minute period, which must have undoubtedly been very frustrating and ultimately a distressing experience for her.
"This episode provides the opportunity for further learning and improvement by Police Scotland, to ensure that staff act appropriately and provide the correct level of service to members of the public seeking their assistance."

A statement on behalf of Mr Croal’s family said:

"Barry was a father, son, partner and brother who is sorely missed. It has been just over a year since his death and the circumstances surrounding it have made it difficult for us, as a family, to come to terms with.
"We are aware of the PIRC report and the findings contained within it and we hope that Police Scotland take note of these findings so that no other family has to experience something similar.
"We are thankful of the support we have received but would now ask for privacy as we continue to come to terms with the loss of Barry."

(Notes to Editors: The extended family of Barry Croal have asked the PIRC to request that media outlets do not make attempts to contact them)

Mr Croal’s mother first contacted Police Scotland at 1836 hours on Monday 20 February 2017 after she had gone to his house twice that day but received no reply. She expressed her concerns that she was unable to use her key to get in because there was a key on the inside of the lock. She also wanted to know if her son had been taken in to custody.

Mr Croal’s mother was put through to a Custody Sergeant, who confirmed he was not in custody and told her she would need to hang up and phone back on the 101 phone number and speak to a Service Advisor to report her son as missing.

She telephoned again at 1839 hours on the 101 number but selected the wrong phone option and was again told by a police officer to redial 101 and speak to a Service Advisor. No efforts were made by Police Scotland to transfer these two calls to members of staff who could assist her.

Mr Croal’s mother telephoned for a third time at 1842 hours and got through to a Service Advisor in Police Scotland’s Govan Service Centre and repeated her concerns. She again asked if her son was being held in custody at Randolphfield Police Station in Stirling.

After taking some details, including contact information for Mr Croal’s mother, the Service Advisor checked to see if Barry Croal was in custody.

Mr Croal’s mother interpreted this as meaning that the service adviser would call her back after she had made enquiries and she terminated the call.

The Service Advisor was unable to trace a telephone number for Randolphfield and on returning to the call to update Mr Croal’s mother, found that she had hung up.

The Service Advisor did not call her back on the number which she had provided, instead updated the call log with the words "Advice Given/Resolved".

Mr Croal’s mother contacted Police Scotland for a fourth time at 0906 hours on Wednesday 22 February 2017 and spoke to another Service Advisor within Govan Service Centre. She explained she had contacted Police Scotland two days previously and had been expecting Police Scotland to call her back about her son.

When this Service Advisor was made aware of the circumstances, she immediately raised an incident and police officers were sent out to Mr Croal’s house at 1000 hours on 22 February 2018.

They forced entry and found his body inside. The attending doctor certified the cause of death as a gastrointestinal bleed, adding that an estimated time of death could not be determined.

The Commissioner has recommended that:

  • Police Scotland should take steps to ensure that when a member of the public contacts Police via the 101 phone number and chooses an incorrect option, instead of asking the caller to redial and choose another call option, they should take the information from the caller and then transfer the call to appropriate staff.
  • Police Scotland Service Centre staff should ensure that appropriate follow up action is taken based on the information passed to them.

  • Police Scotland should provide guidance to Service Centre staff on how to deal with dropped 101 calls from members of the public.


Media contact for further information:

Nick McGann, Communications Officer - 01698 542902 or 07393 001852