The Police Investigations & Review Commissioner (PIRC) has concluded that the death of a man hours after he was spoken to by police was not attributable to any act or omission by officers.

An investigation report published today (20 January 2017) also determined there was nothing to suggest to the police, either from the man's behaviour or his actions, that he was considering taking his own life.

The incident took place in the early hours of 7 September 2016 when police were called to attend a report of a disturbance at a top floor flat in Dundee after neighbours reported hearing shouting and the sound of a child crying.

After entering the property, they spoke to a man and a woman, both of whom were uncooperative and evasive. They stated they were not in a relationship and the person responsible for the disturbance had left the premises before the police had arrived. The woman also said she was happy for the man to remain in the flat and officers were content that the child, who was in bed, was not distressed and appeared to be safe and well. After checking with their control room that the man was not wanted for any warrants and being satisfied there was no domestic incident to investigate, the police officers left the flat.  

Hours later, the 33-year-old man was found dead in the street, having fallen or jumped from a window of the building.

The investigation concluded that police responded to the initial telephone call within the required 15 minute timescale and that the actions of the officers were appropriate in gaining entry to the flat to assess the situation and check on the welfare of those inside the property.     

The Commissioner, Kate Frame, commented:

"Having investigated the initial report of a disturbance, the police officers found nothing to indicate the man was considering taking his own life and from all the available evidence there is nothing to suggest his death was attributable to an act or omission by the police officers."

View the Commissioner's report here