22 March 2022 | Our Business
Senior Management Team Meeting - 15 February 2022
Via video conference
Michelle Macleod Commissioner
Phil Chapman Director of Operations
Billy Little T/AJ Head of Investigations
Sharon Smit Head of Corporate Services
Ilya Zharov Head of Reviews and Policy
Laura Duguid Finance Manager
Carol Crombie Secretariat
Minutes of previous meeting
Minutes of last SMT meeting were approved.
Actions were noted and updated accordingly.
In addition to the update paper, the Commissioner advised on:
Public Inquiry – a hearing on whether undertakings can be given for the key officers involved will now proceed on 22 February.
AAC – minutes of the last meeting have now been finalised and circulated to the Chair.
Disclosure of information – a meeting was held with ACC Speirs around disclosure of information and it was agreed to set up a tripartite group with PIRC, COPFS and Police Scotland to agree data principals and a common approach to dealing with SARs. PIRC Head of Legal Service and Information Officer will represent PIRC
Director of Operations update
Articles 3 and 5 Process Review – staff from the PIRC Assessment Team are scheduled to meet with Police Scotland to look at shared learning on some issues. It was noted that timescales for producing the report by 1 March may not be possible but it was hoped that the recommendations will be presented in the next two weeks. Separate meetings are scheduled with COPFS and Police Scotland.
Business Rules – discussed in agenda item 3
Hybrid working – return to hybrid working resumed 14 February. SS asked that the process around desk bookings is reiterated to staff.
Risk Register – the register has been updated following the last Risk meeting and feedback from AAC. SS proposed that going forward the Risk Register would be circulated for comment two weeks prior to SMT and any changes or updates can be agreed at SMT There were no objections to this proposal.
There was a discussion on staff involvement, through various groups, to identify risks to feed into the Risk Register group.
Action: Risk Register to be circulated two weeks prior to SMT and any updates approved at SMT meetings
Audit Log – SS advised of three outstanding actions which will be presented to AAC for sign off and she is awaiting feedback on two further audits.
She also advised that dates are currently being progressed for an information/risk session to be delivered to AAC members.
Management Accounts - LD presented the monthly management accounts with no questions raised. In addition, she shared an overview of the previous PIRC annual budgets, highlighting the 72% increase over the last four years and the implications of underspends during this period. She highlighted the use of underspends in relation to maternity cover, cost of living and pension increases as well as rising costs for IT and system upgrades. The slides demonstrated the overspend anticipated should there be no further uplifts
There was no comment regarding the submitted update paper.
Performance Report - IZ presented the performance report showing the outstanding cases together with the current live cases. He advised that the new initial assessment process is now established. PC commented that this may affect the new process for statutory business rules and will ensure this is captured.
The Commissioner advised that AAC members have requested that, going forward, that they are also provided with the numbers currently under review together with the outstanding cases.
Engagement – regular meetings continue with NCHWG and PSD
Audits - work is progressing in relation to audits with the ToR now agreed.
Performance Report - BL advised that Articles 3 and 5 referrals were having an impact on the Investigations workload and the total number of investigations to date has surpassed last year’s final total. Current workload shows 45 live investigations
There was a discussion around investigations involving footage from body worn cameras.
Engagement continues with partner agencies
Performance Report - SS presented the performance stats and highlighted the impact on the attendance stats due to staff on long term sick absence.
She asked managers to relay to teams the importance of adding a reason for every flexi adjustment. This is an area for audit this year and she emphasised the importance of this being managed appropriately.
Recruitment – interviews are being carried out for two posts this week and two staff are due to take up their positions at the end of this month.
Pay Policy - This has been updated to include the new pay scales, there were no further amendments. The changes to the policy were approved.
Fair work - SS explained this was a Scottish Government initiative around the health and livelihood of workers across Scotland. The Staff Representative Group has completed the SG questionnaire and will consider the outcomes on how PIRC perform against each criteria. Thereafter, a statement is required to be added to the PIRC website to show what PIRC are doing under each of the categories.
PIRC Skills Profile - This paper has been circulated for consideration. SS advised this was a way to look at what skills staff currently have, what are required for each job role, to look at any gaps and prepare a Training Plan. The Training Coordinator and departmental training contacts will work on this. First line managers will also be involved. She asked that SMT consider the documents and respond by 22 February. She is happy to speak to any staff who may have questions.
Action: SMT to consider the Skills Profile and provide feedback by 22 February.
Date of next meeting – 15 March 2022.