The PIRC can review complaints about a number of policing organisations operating in Scotland. 

If you have a complaint about a policing body in Scotland, you must first make your complaint to the body concerned to allow them the opportunity to resolve your concerns.

Find contact details for policing bodies operating in Scotland below. 

  • Police Scotland

    From 1 April 2013, Police Scotland replaced the eight regional police forces, as well as the Scottish Crime and Drug Enforcement Agency and the Scottish Police Services Authority.  To make a complaint about Police Scotland, contact the Professional Standards department at:

    PO Box 2460 | Dalmarnock, Glasgow | G40 9BA
    Telephone: 101

    Find out more about complaining to Police Scotland

  • Scottish Police Authority (SPA)

    The Scottish Police Authority is responsible for maintaining policing, promoting policing principles, continuous improvement of policing and holding the Chief Constable to account.  To make a complaint about SPA, contact:

    1 Pacific Quay | Glasgow | G51 1DZ
    Telephone: 0141 585 8300

    Find out more about complaining to the SPA

  • British Transport Police (BTP)

    British Transport Police (BTP) is the national police force for the railways, providing a policing service to passengers, railway staff and rail operators throughout Scotland, England and Wales.  BTP is also responsible for policing the Glasgow underground. To make a complaint about BTP, contact the Professional Standards Department at:

    90 Cowcaddens Road | Glasgow | G4 0LU
    Telephone: 0800 405040


  • British Transport Police Authority (BTPA)

    The fifteen members of the British Transport Police Authority oversee the police force, set its priorities and allocate funding.  They also deal with complaints and recruitment in certain cases, independent custody visiting and Freedom of Information requests.

    The Forum | 5th Floor North | 74-80 Camden Street | London | NW1 0EG
    Telephone: 0207 383 0259
    Fax: 0207 383 2655

    Find out more about complaining to the BTPA

  • Civil Nuclear Constabulary (CNC)

    CNC polices civil nuclear licensed sites, nuclear site operators and regulators in Scotland, England and Wales.  To make a complaint about CNC you can contact the Professional Standards Department at the following:

    Culham Science Centre | Abingdon | Oxfordshire | OX14 3DB
    Telephone: 03303 135 400

    Find out more about complaining to CNC

  • Ministry of Defence Police

    Ministry of Defence Police and Guarding Agency provides policing and guarding services to the Defence Community, both military and civilian.  To find out more about making a complaint you can contact MDPGA:

    Professional Standards Department
    Wethersfield | Braintree | Essex | CM7 4AZ
    Telephone: 01371 854 648

    Find out more about complaining to the MOD police

  • National Crime Agency (NCA)

    The National Crime Agency (NCA) leads UK law enforcement's fight to cut serious and organised crime. It has national and international reach and the mandate and powers to work in partnership with other law enforcement organisations to bring the full weight of the law to bear on serious and organised criminals.

    Units 1-6 Citadel Place | Tinworth Street | London | SE11 5EF
    Tel: 0370 496 7622

    Find out more about complaining to the NCA

  • The Home Office

    The first duty of the government is to keep citizens safe and the country secure. The Home Office has been at the front line of this endeavour since 1782. As such, the Home Office plays a fundamental role in the security and economic prosperity of the United Kingdom.

    2 Marsham Street | London | SW1P 4DF
    Tel: 020 7035 4848

    Find out more about complaining to the Home Office

  • HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)

    HMRC is the UK's tax authority. It is responsible for making sure that the money is available to fund the UK's public services and for helping families and individuals with targeted financial support.

    Find out more about complaining to HMRC